Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sharing

I breathe the same air as billions before me
I touch the same earth like many others
So many sights, smells, textures everyday
Walking through this city I retrace our steps

Run my hand down the stair banisters
Tears dare to invade at your missing touch
For your hand once laid here my love
Like death sadly you just seem gone
Your faded footsteps I re-step through just to feel whole
My skin prickles as I step each hard step through your ghost
It's strange to be here doing the things
People have done so many times before.
Yet each time I remember the things we did
I feel I have to open our special door

Spread my fingers in front of my face
Drinking in the fact they were once round your frame
Already touched thousands of things after that last embrace
Yet that day feels like just only yesterday

I don't share as many things with you as I did
Only the air we breathe and the earth beneath our warm feet
I stare at the same stars and clouds as you
Dreading my reaction to you the next day we meet
My emotions and memories they are all now hid
Beneath a black sheet of denial and lies
It is only to myself that I commit deceit
The memories always resurface, unwilling to die

Happy to at least share the same breath as you
Wish I could only share my lonely cold soul with you

1 comment:

Conflagration Lavender said...

I can imagine each movement and thought perfectly in my head. The poem doesn't make me feel sorrow, on the contrary, it makes me realize how alive you are with each word that is placed on this poem. Such emotions of someone missing from your side hurts deep within, even worse is when that person doesn't realize it. I would like to know what you were feeling when you were writing this poem. I want to get a better perspective of your thoughts, if you don't mind.